Veronica Dare Halo ODST commander of nothing

Veronica Dare Halo ODST commander of nothing

Just a wee news post to point to a new article that’s just gone live. Having recently completed Halo ODST one thing stood out as more annoying than the short / repetitive gameplay, the less than superb graphics and the over the top hype this game has managed to garner based on name alone. Halo ODST has one of the worst portrayals of a female ‘commander’ in any video game thus far released. One Discourse on Sexism and Tolerance looks at what went so horribly wrong with the character of Veronica Dare and how it could have so easily been avoided. You can leave comments for the full article under this post.

108 Responses to “Veronica Dare Halo ODST commander of nothing”

1. Some lesbian gamers are suggesting the characters in Dragon Age and other BioWare titles are not ‘lesbian’, but rather characters that can exhibit lesbian traits based on what the player is playing and what the player does in the game.
    It’s an interesting quandary and one we’re writing about at the moment.

2. Bee says:

Agreed. I won’t feel like there are lesbian characters in games until there are actual, you know, LESBIAN characters. There are plenty of heterosexual ones, a few bisexual/omnisexual/pansexual/xenosexual/whateversexual ones…
    I found this terribly frustrating in Mass Effect. I have a ship full of people and I can’t manage to meet a lesbian? Ashley’s not interested? Well, OK, disappointing, but that’s life, right? But why do I have to settle for some bisexual blue alien? Gross.
    The only really lesbian love interest in a game that I can think of at all was KotoR’s Juhani. … Another weird alien.

3. Hello, this is the user Dragonclaws. I disagree with this piece for the most part, but think it raises some good points. I’ve written an article that examines Halo Wars/ODST for sexism, and it was partially made in response to this article and the appalling reaction from the Halo community. I hope you will check it out. It’s at http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Blog:Examination_of_Female_Characters_-_Part_2

4. audio says:

@thefremen pol pot? Really? Dramatic much?

Anyway, the fanboys spewing hate are obviously idiots and should be ignored.
    That being said there are a number of well written well thought out comments on here that show why this article is pretty off.
    I’m not gonna go back over what’s been said but, while I understand the disappointment in Dare not being in the game more, calling it sexist abd a travesty is pretty absurd.
    I think when sexism is so quickly thrown at something you can run the risk of it turning into ‘crying wolf’, something that happens with racism as well.
    I agree sexism is pretty rampant in a lot of games but this isn’t one of them.

5. Don says:

I realize this is an old article given the comment dates, but I wanted to thank the author. Too often the fanboys hurl their sputum when the truth is mentioned and their tiny brains cannot take it. FACT Veronica Dare was a SHIT character. The male characters in the game were sexist ass holes with no respect for the woman or her command.

Veronica Dare is the one time Bungie truly let me down as a gamer (I won’t mention Halo Wars, lest I get REALLY angry). To suggest her character deserved to be spoken to in the way she was is sexist in itself. To berate the writer for seeing the character and game for what it is, also denigrates gaming itself. We become that thing we try to remove ourselves from, sexist anti-social male morons. These fanboys play into this hook-line and sinker. If they thought for themselves as opposed to their teen buddies or their redneck buddies they would see the merit in posts like this on sites like this one. I don’t need to be a lesbian or even a woman to have noticed the nuances and obvious sexist shit in ODST. It was a huge failure on the part of Bungie and all these pro Bungie misogynist comments do is make Bungie look worse.

Bungo of course rectified this grievous error in Halo Reach, these fanboys and their putrid comments are here forever.

6. Martha says:

Wow the comments here really showed me a couple of things, 1 what a bunch of dumb fucks are on the Bungie forums and 2 how the guys at Bungie don’t give a shit that’s how it is. It really made me not want to put any money into a game that fans those ugly flames of sexism. What a bunch of dipshits.

7. Lollerdur says:

IMO, the “sexism” is from the point of the supporting cast, It’s showing the sexism women in the military face. It’s like the “N word” being said in a movie about a black soldier.

8. Mike says:

I’m sorry, I know this is really old and all, but I have to say that this isn’t even worth mentioning.

I will admit that Captain Veronica Dare got under my skin a little as a character, but that’s the whole point of fleshing a character. Up until nearing the end of the game, I had mixed feelings about her that were mostly skewed toward the negative.

The accusations that “all male characters were sexist assholes” is hardly fair to say in the least. The only other character that mentioned Dare in the beginning was Mickey, who was simply curious about the kind of armor she was wearing–a logical question to ask for someone who was just informed that a total stranger was suddenly bled into their team from an intelligence sect.

The most derogatory statement from any character was “We went through hell for THAT?” said by Romeo, who’s nickname speaks for itself. What he said was in-character in response to what Buck had said earlier:

“Mickey, turn the ship around!”

“What? Why?!”

“I lost something…” [to himself] “…now I know where to find her.”

If anyone had any understanding of Halo’s military relations, it’s that the Office of Naval Intelligence isn’t the most pleasant of groups in the universe. The past relationship between Buck and Dare was clearly not something the two spoke much about, thus it’s something that the Gunnery Sergeant would’ve rather kept to himself. Thus “I lost someTHING” wasn’t meant to be sexist, it was meant to be secretive. And if you hadn’t noticed, he still cared about her throughout the game, in fact he keeps bringing up the time she “couldn’t give him a ‘yes’ or ‘no’ answer.” Clearly, he cared then and he cares now.

The only time he ever seems to really show anger is when he confronts Dare on the subject of her involvement with ONI. I myself would be pretty pissed if the government was starting to be an obstacle between me and someone I love.

Complications are just a thing of life, and people–both men and women alike–can get edgy over such things.

Also, raging fanboy haters can cry me a river. They’re just mad because Dare isn’t “hot” by their standards, which is really shallow. It was a little difficult to draw the comparison between her and Tricia Helfer at first glance, but that’s about where I draw the line on complaining. ODST deserves its due. Yes, it could’ve been better in terms of gameplay [maybe if they jacked up weapon damage a bit I’d be satisfied]; yes, it could have had a little more character depth. In all, I’m satisfied with this title. It’s a game, a game that was simply asked for to keep fans at bay before the release of Halo Reach, a game that Bungie wanted its fans to enjoy, so I can be grateful for that.

Chins up, everyone. The smarter people from Bungie have left to 343 Studios and Halo 4 is in the making at their hands. Onyx is a huge possibility for the game’s setting, and that means characters like Linda and Kelly might show up in the flesh for the first time.