Lesbian or Gayelle?

I had to check the calendar today to make sure it wasn’t April first. I  spotted a piece on an Aussie news site that said a group of lesbians have launched a worldwide movement to change ‘lesbian’ to ‘gayelle’. Apparently the group think lesbian “is antiquated; it is not representative of modern times, and or, of persons with modern views. Lesbian does not sound cheerful and fun, nor does it mean merry, like the word gay does; rather, it sounds more like loner, loser, and less. Gay females deserve more, not less.”

Each to their own, for me I kind of like lesbian, for numerous reasons and anyway a Google check on ‘gayelle’ showed me it’s a TV station in Trinidad & Tobago, as well as a term used for a cockfighting arena… no irony there I’m sure, or maybe this ‘group’ knows that and thinks it’s somehow indicative of what they’re trying to say?
What do you think? Lesbian or gayelle? I know, how about Gaymelle, so we gamers can feel all fluffy and comfortable with the new name as well?

5 Responses to “Lesbian or Gayelle?”

1. katiegeek23 says:

“Gayelle” sounds like either
    1) a foot fungus
    2) a character from “The Beverly Hillbillies” or
    3) one of them thar Erectile Dysfunction drugs.
    *shrugs* Labels are just words, though. Whatever anybody chooses to call themselves, I’ll normally humor them.

2. vou says:

Sorry but who says gay is merry? Gay is used to insult things these days and I cannot remember the last time i heard anyone use the term gay to mean happy. Also,how does one begin to say that, I am gayelle, I am a gayelle?!? As for gaymelle that sounds like Gargamel’s missing sibling…i stick with fabulously homo tho lol

3. Sora says:

I’m from Trinidad! xD

4. Brinstar says:

This is ridiculous.
    Why don’t they just try to reclaim ‘lesbian’ and ‘gay’ rather than creating something new?

5. Bethany says:

I think Lesbian is a wonderful word; it brings to mind its earliest written references from the ancient Greek poet Sappho on the Isle of Lesbos.
    She was regarded as one of (if not THE) greatest lyrical poet of the ancient world. For me, “Lesbian” (and “Sapphic”) are endearing, poetic and romantic terms that must be reclaimed and preserved.